Skip to main content

The Arena , The Audience and The Passion

Ouch! Yesterday I was a little rusty at the lectern.  Nope, no, not that sort of rusty. I think it went pretty fine.  But personally I feel I could’ve done better had I been giving consecutive projects.  Well I can’t help it, can I?  After all I need my degree right?  Can’t holiday at home in the name of toastmastering!
It was the third project from the Advanced Communication Series. “Special Occasions Speeches” where I had to present a three to five-minute “roast”.  The first two being “to propose a toast” and “to speak in honour of someone” respectively.  I was pretty excited about the delivery as the project involves poking fun at an individual and honoring him at the same time.  It needs wit, humour, anecdotes, etc.  And I decided to roast my father, himself a toastmaster.  Well the poor soul had to be the victim of a roast for the second time.  The deed already being committed by my brother at first!
It was fun poking fun at an individual. After all how many of us get a chance to do so that too in public, in a room full of people who are all ears to whatever you are going to say.  The sadist that I am, I really wanted to roast my friend who also happens to be a toastmaster but sadly she had to leave after her vacation:(
It was indeed a proud feeling to honor my own dad in front of an audience in such a jovial manner.  A toast to the person who came up with such an innovative manual!
The feedback was pretty good and I must say I didn’t have to put in too much effort into the roast.  Maybe because I was roasting my dad, but I would like to believe it was also because of my passion and enthusiasm (down –to earth. Am I?:P).
However after the meeting, I don’t know why but suddenly a feeling of nostalgia that I’ve never felt before dawned upon me. I really wanted to come back the next week and involve myself in yet another gathering.  I realized it won’t happen for quite some time now.  I wish I could attend at least three to four meetings before my departure to take up my first job!  Anyway that’s how it works right?  One can’t really hope for things to be the same all the time. Then cribbing about monotony will be everyone’s next choice.
I should admit that I’m excited and a little anxious about starting work next week.  It is that excitement and uncertainty that drives all of us and perhaps the same excitement that drives me to weekly meetings but in a different way!
After the meeting it felt so nice to see smiling faces, members who cracked a joke or enquired about each other’s whereabouts and well being.  The feeling is something you just can’t explain.
Occasionally you might find a grumpy person or two who sport a fake smile just out of courtesy (ignore the fake smile and smile back.  You don’t loose anything anyway). But the rest are so genuine and they really wish each other well.  It really makes your day (Ok maybe the next day too because the meetings generally start at 7. 30 p.m.) and you immediately look forward to the following week’s rendezvous.
The joy of public speaking, communication and networking! Words can’t describe the beauty it carries alongJ
Ah! Dr. Ralph C. Smedley, the godfather of toastmastering, had ideas which were a class apart.  Cheers to him!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Think Global but Eat Local

The urban population in India has cut down on literally everything from their diet especially sugar, ghee, oil, carbs. Little do they know that it comes as a package: A slow cut down of nutrients, vitamins, essential minerals. Even hair, skin tone and energy level! Ask them what motivated them to do so and the obvious reply would be “To keep fit” Of course eating idli and chutney, poha or paratha does not sound half as cool as eating salads, soup or oats. Packaged, ready­made food have all been advertised as healthy. They have been marketed under various brand names. It is but of course a gimmick. One season the aisles of supermarkets will be filled with packets of wheat based cereal. The next season it would be gluten free followed by super nutritious sugar free cereal. A consumer who has been dying to lose some weight gets confused.

Trichy Police - “Redefining Peace”

ATTENTION! According to the statistics for 2007, released by the National Criminal Records Bureau, Tamil Nadu had a total cognizable crime rate of 261.7 per one lakh population, while that of Chennai was 256.9.  The crime rate, defined as the number of crime trends as it balances incidence with growth in population. Chennai’s crime rate ensures that the metro is ranked a creditable 24 th among 35 major cities in the country while Coimbatore stands at the 22nd position and Madurai at the 30 th .  However the situation in Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru can send a chill of apprehension down anyone’s spine.  Delhi has earned the skeptical distinction of being the most unsafe metro in the country, topping the list of the number of crimes. According to latest government statistics, Delhi accounted for 13.2 per cent of a total of 3,43,749 crimes reported in 35 mega cities across the country in 2009 followed by Bengaluru (9.4 %) and Mumbai (9.1%). Now picturise the following situation: Cha

WASTE MANAGEMENT- WHOSE RESPONSIBILITY IS IT?

What’s Bangalore’s biggest nightmare? Those in mansions and bungalows can escape it once they are inside their homes. The roadside, slums, villages are filled with it. It is the city’s most dreaded enemy. With rising piles of garbage across town, Bangalore is on the verge of saturation with added pressure on landfills and age- old technologies. Solid waste management takes committed and responsible implementation of waste collection, handling and disposal. With the deep corruption and irresponsible officials, which includes regulators and engineers, it will be very hard to solve this crisis. All those contractors mishandling their contracts should be jailed and be kept away from getting such contracts, so future contractors do an honest job, hopefully. But can anyone point out the exact reason for this crisis? The success and failure of waste management can be attributed to several factors that may seem obvious such as proper disposal of waste, participation of the community, hiring th